Tuesday, January 19, 2010

It's Southern Living - They know what they're doing!!!

Okay - so I decided I would make my fam some good ole homemade cookies. As I'm flipping through the new Southern Living Magazine last night I stumble across a very yummy looking recipe for Oatmeal, Chocolate Chip, and Pecan Cookies. Yum...this is the ticket. I will make these first thing tomorrow morning (which is today)....

I start getting the ingredients ready, and I'm thinking...hmmm.... 1/3 cup butter doesn't seem like enough, but oh well....it's Southern Living....they know what they're doing. So, I'm mixing and the ingredients keep getting dry, and crumbly, and I'm thinking...this is soooo wrong, but I keep on. Finally, I'm getting really mad. Here I've wasted all these ingredients and the dough is like granola, but it's okay, it's Southern Living.....They know what they're doing!!!






As I start to put the dough on the cookie sheet, I feel like I'm building a sand castle. I am actually packing the dough trying to get it to stick together. I look back at the recipe to make sure I measured everything right....3 TIMES, I looked!!!!! Yep, I did what it said....they've made a mistake!!


So, I put the first batch in the oven, and check about half way through, and they are still just little balls, no flat cookies there!! Now, I am MAD!! I wanted one of those yummy Oatmeal, Chocolate Chip, Pecan Cookies soooo bad!!! SO - As I am reading the recipe for the FOURTH time, I look at the top of the page, and you know what it said.........

HEALTHY LIVING


I am making "good for you" cookies. I am baking my family a great thing. Cookies that are actually good for you. I pull those suckers out of the oven, and you know what!! Even though they don't look like your normal "not good for you cookies", and they don't taste like your normal "not good for you cookies". They are actually not bad!!! They taste pretty good!! Can't wait to see how the fam likes them. I think I'll go have another one...you know, since they're good for me and all :)



It's Southern Living and They DO know what they're doing!!! Enjoy!!


I may even rename these to "Good for you Cookies" Here is the recipe:


Oatmeal, Chocolate Chip, and Pecan Cookies (Southern Living)

1/4 cup chopped pecans
1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
1 cup uncooked regular oats
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. baking soda
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/3 cup butter, softened
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 large egg
1/3 cup semisweet chocolate mini morsels (I used regular)

Preheat oven to 350. Bake pecans in a single layer in a shallow pan 8 to 10 minutes or until toasted and fragrant. (Be sure to watch these...my were burning after 5 minutes).

Whisk together flour and next 4 ingredients. Beat sugars and butter at medium speed with mixer until well blended. Add vanilla and egg, beating until blended. Gradually add flour mixture, beating at low speed just until combined. Stir in toasted pecans and morsels.

Drop dough by tablespoonfuls 2 inches apart onto parchment paper lined baking sheets. Bake at 350 for 12 minutes or until edges of cookies are lightly browned.

Blessings,
Linda

No comments:

Post a Comment