Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Watcha Working on Wednesday


I finally decided to give this a try. I've been working on these great smelling Valentine Ornaments. I still have some to finish painting, and then I will need to seal them. I got the dough recipe from Colleen at And Baby Makes Five. I will be hanging some on my ornament tree in the shop, and using some as bowl fillers here at home.


Ornamental Gingerbread Dough


3 T shortening

1/2 cup sugar

1/2 cup molasses

1 tsp. baking soda

3/4 cup water

3 1/2 cups flour

1 tsp each: ground cloves, cinnamon, and nutmeg


Beat shortening and sugar together until light and fluffy. Stir in molasses. Mix dry ingredients together. Stir them into sugar mixture and gradually add water. Dough will be very stiff. Refrigerate overnight.


Heat oven to 350. Cut dough into three pieces. Roll one piece at a time (between two pieces of waxed paper) to a thickness of about 1/4". Cut out desired shapes and pattern. Note: If you are planning to hang these ornaments, poke holes in the shapes now with a straw or toothpick. Bake for about 20 minutes. Allow to cool and harden for several hours or overnight.


Finished ornaments can be painted, sealed or dipped in melted wax. The possibilities are endless.


Thanks again to Colleen at "And Baby Makes Five" for the great recipe.


Blessings,

Linda

No comments:

Post a Comment